Sunday, July 4, 2010

Have a cup of concrete and harden up . . . Dublin

Dublin is like a breath of fresh Anglo air in the midst of Italian madness.  Although I love the language and culture of Italy, it is nice to be here speaking English and walking by Quiznos and Starbucks.  
This is definitely a cool city.  It is youthful and FULL of pubs, live music, and fun people.  I arrived on Friday, two days before Maggie and Kate come, since it was a much cheaper flight.  Yesterday I went on a free tour of Howth, where we hiked around the sea, learned old wives tales about the Irish islands, played with seals, and went to a pub.  Everyone on the tour really got along, so we ended up spending the entire day together.  After the tour (which we dragged on to include watching the world cup match), we went to the grocery store and prepared a huge dinner in the hostel.  After that we created our own pub crawl around Dublin.  

Things I really like about Dublin:
1. Guinness.  Yeah, everybody says it, but it really does taste better here.  They take at least 2 minutes to properly draw the pint, and it is delicious.  The thick foam makes it seem like a sweet dessert, but the dark full flavor of the beer feels more like a meal in a glass.  
2. Pubs.  Pubs everywhere!  They are so much more lively than our bars at home.  Last night we stopped at Whelan's, where they have a band playing upstairs.  The band was actually really good, and all the Irish were really into it.  There is a pub every 15 feet.
3. English.  Not just any English - Irish accented English.  Which is incredible and makes me melt. Even the cheesy lines don't seem so bad coming from a guy with a thick Irish accent.  
4. Parks.  The parks are so pretty! Full of flowers and greenery, they really are beautiful.  I love a good park.
5. Cafe's.  Although the coffee in Italy is much better and cheaper, here there is a coffee culture similar to the States, where you can get a coffee and chat at the cafe for a while.  In Italy people don't generally sit at a bar (cafe).
6. Bathrooms.  The bathrooms are clean and plentiful!!!
7. Irish sayings. I'm learning the slang and it is awesome.
8. The people.  All the local Irish I've met are so friendly and fun.  

Minuses for Dublin:
1. Prices.  Too expensive.  
2. Irish style.  The girls here get seriously dressed up to go out.  I mean full makeup, pounds of it, on every face.  So much makeup.  When we went to the bathroom in a fancier bar the girls were all in there actually re-powdering their faces and reapplying all the makeup. SO much makeup.  More than I own.  Hair is completely styled as well.  They also get super dressed up . . we cringed at this one girl who kept rolling her ankles in her heels.  
3. TGI Fridays.  Come on.



1 comment:

Marinbrit26 said...

I told you Guiness tastes better there. I'm a little jealous and wish I was there with you. Updating blog tomorrow and will write emails for sanilty and read your blog so I officially can say "yeah I know I read your blog"