Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Deutschland : )

Rainbows, pretzels, beer and mountains.

I have been in Germany for almost two weeks, and I absolutely love it.  I left Augsburg on Monday to go to my friend Bernadette's home town near Rosenheim.  Bernadette and I met first semester in Italian class at UD. She came to Akron for Thanksgiving, and now she is graciously showing me around Bavaria.  If we were keeping score, she definitely wins - Bavaria is much more interesting than Akron.

I am having SO much fun with her and her family.  They are so kind, and it feels great to be with a family in a real home for the first time in months. I'm afraid the weight loss will pause while I'm here - the food is fantastic.  Last night I learned how to make spaetzle. which is a type of cheese noodle, and also these cookies made out of chocolate and nutella.  Today I ate a pig leg, complete with skin and big bones (no, I didn't eat the skin).  Some German's thought the silly American girl was funny, because I was fascinated by this pig.  Bernadette's mom wanted me to have true Bavarian food, and she said it doesn't get more Bavarian than that.  We also took a shot together after the meal.  I love Germany.  Bernadette claims she is not the traditional Bavarian, because she is a vegetarian who doesn't like beer!  She is an exceptional person and I'm so lucky to have met her.

Driving through the Alps, the most vivid rainbow I've ever seen appeared. The landscape is just gorgeous here.  Green streams running from the mountains, charming houses with paintings on them, cobblestoned streets and old arch ways.  Everything is picture-worthy.  Even Bernadette's house is beautiful!  I'm such a creep.

Another aspect I like about this country is the focus on the environment.  Bernadette's house has government subsidized (hint hint USA) solar panels on the roof, which heat the water during the summer.  They also recycle and have a compost pile so there is little wasted in this house.  In the U.S. people taking these measures would be considered especially 'green.' Here I think it is the norm, as it should be.  There is little extra effort put in for many benefits.

Although I am having a great time here, there is bad news from home.  Great Uncle Bob passed away yesterday.  I'm not the type to garner personal attention for these types of things, so I will just say that this is hard and I wish I was home for it.  He truly is a great man, and I'm not just saying that because he's gone.  It's ironic I'm in the country which nearly caused his death in WWII all those years ago after he was shot and run over by a tank.  He is one hardcore badass, but also an awesome person. I really want to be there and wish I could have said a proper goodbye . . . but it's not the last time that counts, but all the other times we've had together (if that makes any sense, which I don't think it does). Still I'm glad I held him extra tight before I left.

Allora.  I'm trying to learn German because I can't stand not knowing what is going on! I have no idea what I've been eating, because I just try to say stuff and then eat whatever I end up with.  Bernadette is being a great translator :)  I suck at German.

A HUGE apology to Jimmy, who apparently is not entertained enough by my blog. Stronzo.

No comments: