Sunday, July 18, 2010

Homeless no more!!!!

Maggie and Kate wanted to see Rome (and why shouldn't they, it is awesome), so we took Ryan Air one more time from Madrid to my city.  It felt great to know what was going on again and speak the language.  I really liked all the places we've been, but Italy is still my absolute favorite.  I was so nervous they would not like it, and then I would just be pissed off.  Italy is not for everyone; it is a culture you just need to embrace and 'go with,' or you might find yourself frustrated at crappy bathrooms and the constant struggle for tap water at restaurants.  I also wanted to make sure they saw the 'best of' in the best way possible, so I put a lot of thought into how we would spend our days here.  Basically I would drop them off at a site or museum since I didn't need to go into them again, and do my own thing for a bit.  It might seem like kind of a waste for me to go back to Rome for a couple days and then continue travelling, but I really wanted to show my friends the place I have been talking about for ages.  That, and I had some business to attend to.  APARTMENT BUSINESS!!! 

When I was in Rome before I headed to Dublin, I contacted one of the landlords whose apartment I visited over a month ago.  I waited this long because I had a number of setbacks with other landlords - either they wouldn't let us rent for just a couple months, no longer had a double room, didn't respond, or changed their minds.  As I was really starting to lose my cool, I called him as kind of a hail Mary that he hadn't rented the room already.  It was a good apartment, it was just a little farther from the centro than was ideal.  I called him, and luckily he hadn't rented it yet because he wasn't advertising that room anymore.  I told him we would take it!  Before I got to Rome I contacted him to confirm details, and the date was set.  I would come on Wednesday to give him the deposit and get the key.  This scared the crap out of me, because I was going to just hand over a bunch of money and a copy of my id without a contract or anything.  Legally I can't sign a contract because I'm not a resident, and I'm ignorant of most Italian housing laws.  The landlord was kind and seemed like a good guy, but you can never be sure when you are dealing with money.  I asked the previous tenants about him when he wasn't around, and they liked him and said he was fair, but I was understandably nervous to make this big of a financial transaction in a foreign language, putting so much trust in someone I don't know very well.  Riding the metro to the apartment I felt physically ill.  I just told myself to suck it up and don't be stupid.  If something seems amiss it probably is, so make sure the key works, ask questions, etc.  

I arrived at the apartment and was pleasantly reminded of how nice the building is.  It is right next to a Sandro Ferrone dress shop, a blog from a huge supermarket, 3 minutes from the A line metro, and across the street from a park with ponies.  Yes, ponies!  I went up to the apartment and there was Mr. Landlord.  He really is nice.  We chatted for a while about this and that, then got down to it.  I gave him my document copy and money, and he gave me the key!  A huge, HUGE key hahaha.  He introduced me to my roommates,are really nice and don't speak English :)  It will be a challenge, but I'm looking forward to it.  He then left me to my room.  My room in Roma.  I put some things away and took pictures for Francesca.  There are three bathrooms, 4 bedrooms, and a kitchen/dinning area.  I have a balcony off of my room :)  With a nice view :)  We also have a washing machine, which I could not be more excited about!  I left to go meet the girls, after I made sure the key actually worked of course haha.  I could not let go of my key . .I just carried it around like a new Christmas present.  I just can't believe it is happening!  I have a home in Roma, which I found and acquired all on my own.  This was the first big hurdle - I can and am living in Rome.

No comments: