Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Always Interesting in Roma

Walking around Rome today I encountered some unusual things, as always happens in this wonderful city.

1. You know those crazy outfits on the catwalk that make you ask 'Who wears these? Where do you even buy them?" Well I found them in an outlet store on Via Tritone, near the Trevi Fountain. The world 'outlet' is kind of a stretch, since I hope no one would pay 1,300 euro for a fur and metallic vest, but whatever floats your boat. The clothes were just so weird and so expensive, I couldn't get over it. One dress looked like a black and white christmas tree skirt that you just wrap around the body.
This is probably why they were in the outlet.

2. I'm on a quest to discover all these fantastic, unassuming Churches. When I walked by Piazza Silvestro, I noticed a church set back in a quiet little courtyard. Intrigued, I walked in and was surprised when I heard english music spilling out of the church. Obviously I had to check it out, so I went in and decided to attend mass. It was the end of the homily so perfect timing! I sat down and participated in the first english mass I've been to in a month and a half. After I got over the surprise of a random english mass in this tiny church, I realized I was in a group of Hawaiians. I got SO excited when they started to play the ukulele and sing songs I knew, except with an Hawaiian twist and a really bad soprano. Also, the choir director was randomly Scottish.
Love it. Maybe he moved to Hawaii.

3. I'm staying in a hostel behind Termini, which is kind of creepy. The fun occurrence of the day is that I just walked by a guy stuffing a blunt in the middle of the street. Although he was nice enough to offer me some, I politely declined. This kind of convinced me not to come home late tonight.

1 comment:

Marinbrit26 said...

I told you Guinness tastes better there. I'm a little jealous and wish I was there with you. Updating blog today and will write emails for sanity and read your blog so I officially can say "yeah I know I read your blog"
hope your having fun and miss you