Sunday, August 29, 2010

Employment!

Yes, that is right.  I found a job in Rome, and it couldn't be more perfect for me. I'm giving tours of Rome to people staying in a hostel right by Santa Maria Maggiore.  So basically, I get paid to walk around with fascinating people from all around the world (usually my age) and introduce them to the city I love.  There is nothing better than being the first person to show people sights like the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain and watch their faces light up. Then tell them all about it and they have to listen to me, because they paid.  For hours on end people give me their undivided attention, and they enjoy it!  A few people have told me it was their favorite tour from their entire time abroad.
I've been working for a couple weeks now, and have met people from: Brazil, India, England, Wales, Ireland, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Paraguay, Sweden, Japan, Hong Kong, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, and more I can't remember.  It's a schmorgas board of different cultures, and everyone knows I love anything foreign.
One of the perks of having a job is getting paid.  Hallelujah! I can loosen up and start enjoying everything this crazy city has to offer!  I've even been visiting bars and restaurants with friends again. Different restaurant and bar owners are getting to know me, and I relish the shouts of "Jessica! Come va?" when I walk in the door.

I thought life was basically over after college - but this is definitely just the beginning : )

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey cousin!!! I have to say I am absolutely loving your blog. It is great that you found a job over there and that it is something you enjoy doing. You are an excellent story teller and paint one hell of a picture of Europe and Italy specifically. I am so jealous of the things you get to see. I hope I can make it over there while you are still in Roma. Good luck with everything you do on the other side of the pond and I hope to see you soon.

Your cousin,

Louie

Anonymous said...

Wow- Can I come and be you ? John and I are thinking of coming over to Euope sometime in next 6 months - so the question is this ... how long do you plan to keep living the dream there ? So Proud of you- Love ya babe !- Debbie

Allie said...

Hey jessie! so i just wanted to tell you that in storad's class today he started talking about rome which led to talking about giolittis! he taught us the giolittis song and talked about finding our trinity! The whole time i was thinking that you can get gelato anytime you want! i'll tell you more sometime skype. i just really wanted to tell you this! ok i miss you and love you!!